List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SSH tunnelling
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-09-17 10:45:31

Hi,

On Sunday, 16. September 2001 14:38, Paul Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I'm currently working on extending on a private project to extend
> TCPSlaveBase to optionally tunnel through SSH (basicly the ioslave will
> optionally fork ssh and tunnel through it). In addition I'm writing a setup
> class to manage the extra configuration data for tunnelled SSH conections
> (remote user ids, host names etc etc).
>
> The real problem I'm trying to solve is how to get mail from a bunch of
> different servers each behind firewalls (sadly they don't all support IPSEC
> or other non-windows VPNs), so what I'm going to do is to push this stuff
> into pop3 and eventually kmail.
>
> Now I'm doing this stuff for my own use, but I'd like to push these changes
> into KDE3.0 once they are done. What do people think? Is anyone else
> playing in this area? (is this even the right mailing list for
> TCPSlaveBase?)

I cross post to kde-core-devel, where you probably don't have write access,
for the case someone there want's to comment.

Regarding the configuration, I think, that should be possible from the
application by sending metaData to the slave in the same way, KMail currently
does that for TLS and the authentication method.

User name, password and host should be enough, I think.
SSH tunneling is probably mostly useful for account based protocols and not
for example for http or ftp. The settings might also differ from account to
account.

Regards,
Michael Häckel