List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Revolutionary Change (kicker)
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2001-09-15 11:29:10

On Saturday 15 September 2001 04:07, Charles Samuels wrote:
> a) It's obvious the k-menu is copying from microsoft's start button

So what?

> b) wharfs are easily more usuable than that

Please explain.

> c) wharfs (and NeXT's user interface), at least in my opinion, is the
>pinnacle of UI design, it does everything right, at least with their "panel"
>: It puts it on the right-top, it makes the icons larger

Sounds like a matter of taste. My opinion is that 64x64 icons are a waste of
screen space.

> d) starting an app with kicker takes very much siginificantly longer than a
>wharf: (kicker) move mouse, click, move mouse, move mouse, move mouse,
>click;
>(wharf) move mouse, click, move mouse, click

I have panel buttons for all my frequently used apps.

> e) Users have difficulty identifying apps for the first time by icon, all
>wharf buttons can have captions.

A 64 pixel caption? Like "GTV MPEG Pla" in your screenshot?

>f) Users don't know how to delete applets from kicker (RMB sometimes doesn't
>occure to them), with this, they'll arrange it all in an app, including the
>applets.

Did you ever try to remove a Window Maker applet? I find it quite hard to
exactly hit the 2 pixel border.

>g) the API can remain mostly the same as it is now, with nothing more then
>the stuff to allow transparency.

KPanelApplet? No. Look again at the API.

>h) it looks better

Does it?

>i) for those stuck in the past, this can also be put in any location, with
>any orientation, and can be made to look a lot like the current kicker

To be honest, I consider a NextStep like UI "stuck in the past".

>j) it would force us to have better organized menus (they should be shorter,
>with only the most frequently used apps on the menu, and the less frequently
>called things, can be put on a regular menu that shows like in kicker)

Sounds to me like "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Greetings,
Matthias

P.S.: I don't want to offend you, but why not simply work on Window Maker to
make it 100% NET_WM compliant?