List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    smserver problem
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-09-14 13:28:55

Since the switch to Qt3, I've got a problem with ksmserver. Basically, what happens
is that at startup, the splash screen never disappears (except after timeout). The
last message is "Restoring session" and the last icon keeps blinking.
I digged a little bit and here's the result. I don't know the smserver internals,
so maybe this will be useful to someone to fix the problem (or am I the only one??).

1) in startkde, the call is made by "ksmserver --restore", however
   KSMServer::restoreSession() is not called: KSMServer::startDefaultSession() is used.

2) a default session is started because "screenCountChanged" is false (ksmserver/main.cpp)

3) screenCountChanged is always false because a config file ksmserverrc is never
   written, KSMServer::storeSesssion() is never called on shutdown, as I didn't check
   the box "Restore session on next startup".

4) after checking the box on shutdown, the next startup was OK, and the splash screen
   disappeared as expected.

These 4 points seem logical together. What's not logical is that starting a default
session prevent the splash screen from disappearing normally. The reason is that
KSMServer::startDefaultSession() uses upAndRunning("start session"). This string
is not handled by KSplash::upAndRunning() that only expects "session ready".
I don't where it's the best to fix it, but it should be quite easy to do :-)

Note: I notice the problem because I'm now running a KDE-2.2 desktop, and uses
Xnest to access a KDE-CVS desktop inside my 2.2, using another user that I created
specially for that.

Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM