List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt versus threading
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-09-10 9:03:38

Hello,

Bradley T Hughes <bhughes@trolltech.com>
>The next question I have is:  exactly where have people seen problems with
>threads on FreeBSD?  mpeglib of course, but I've not had the time to look
>at it.  Anything else?

mpeglib is not build on FreeBSD by default and it does not use
calls wich are non portable according to the pthread docs
on linux.
Means:

- no recursive locking
- no pthread_cancel (wasn't implemented on FreeBSD)

but it does use the rest. (try_lock, conditions,mutex, create & join)

No one investigated yet, why it does not work on FreeBSD, but
there was an mail on kdemultimedia that mpeglib does directly link
against lc_r and better should use -pthread for linking with
thread support.
Additionally mpeglib does not link against qt.

I hope this help,

Martin