List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal unify back our release schedules
From:       David Edmundson <david () davidedmundson ! co ! uk>
Date:       2024-04-22 22:32:23

> As a result I'll rescind my idea to slow down Frameworks feature
> releases.

Then I'll take over and fight for it!

>that having a fast Frameworks release cycle allows
> people developing apps with features in Frameworks to not have to live
> on master like we do in Plasma.

That was the motivation for the change. And it's simply a bad motivation.

The most important stakeholder of our release cycle is not app
developers. It's the end-user.

We've seen this in practice over the last 10 years that the user
experience suffers with the short release cycle. Less than a month is
not enough for any meaningful testing, especially for API that we
commit to for years and years.  We've seen last minute respins and
panics on so many 5.x releases.That trumps any other developer-centric
argument by far as the most important thing for developers is their
apps to work well with the libraries they use.

I am 100% certain we would have better products with a different
branch policy on frameworks than the current optimistic policy of
master always being perfect and not having bugfix releases.

How branch policy changes how we do releases still has many many
options, but I would like to see something change and this proposal
does fix that.

David