List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal unify back our release schedules
From:       Marco Martin <notmart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-04-23 12:23:53

On Friday, 19 April 2024 17.50.44 CEST Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > * "KDE Framework" will still exists as an entity and its ABI and API
> > >
> > >   compatibility requirement. Only change is the release frequency and
> > >   the
> > >
> > > introduction of a stable branch in sync with the other components.
> >
> > That part I'm against for the above mentioned reasons, KF's release
> > frequency is a major feature of it.
>
> As a distribution, I found it tremendously helpful to integrate and
> qualify the MegaRelease. That doesn't mean that we need *every*
> release of KF and Gear to be MegaReleases.

One thing I would like to hear from the distribution standpoint, is that in
the past i also heard our release schedule being part of the reasons some
enterprise distros dropped our stuff completely from the official release (suse
and red hat). In part it sounded kinda an excuse to me, but if there is any
part of truth is worth exploring.

is changing frequency or dates something that would help significantly distros?
is there something about our current schedules that is a significant hindrance
for distributions to the point "we don't feel we can adequately support it"?

a part of this discussion should have the point of a good relatioship with
downstream in consideration (also because is part of the broader "getting to
more users")

--
Marco Martin