List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What can we expect from our developers
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jr () jriddell ! org>
Date:       2024-02-01 9:34:56

My opinion is that KDE project maintainers should aspire to get the
projects into the hands of users in a way which makes it a useful tool for
the user.  That means ensuring the projects are packaged and distributed
and updated.  That's a big ask of course especially from volunteers but it
would be the same of self hosted open source projects on Github or
commercial proprietary projects, the difference is we have a community
process where if you aren't sure how to achieve something there is probably
other people who can help out.  When I first took over Umbrello 20 years
ago I was surprised that as well as learning C++ and Qt I'd also need to
know some artwork and how to make it translatable and follow UI design.
Actually making it available to users through app stores is another ask for
sure but it's why I'd like that integrated into processes like the KDE Gear
release service so projects can offload some of the work.  There seems to
be minimal interest in this though which I worry keeps KDE projects back.

Jonathan