List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Formal request to set up a KDE Discourse instance
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2021-02-24 0:34:00

Hey,

This all sounds much too confrontational :-). Come on everyone, we can do this much \
better.

Ben, I don't think Nate's request implies prioritization. For folks outside a \
particular team it can be difficult to follow what the team has on their plate at the \
moment; you probably also wouldn't know the same about Nate's VDG/QA space.

Everyone knows that sysadmin is working hard all the time, but it has to still be \
possible to do roadmap planning. In fact it's one of the best ways to avoid getting \
overcommitted in the future. Declaring a goal and/or agreeing to work on it in the \
abstract doesn't mean it has to be done straight away or rushed, but it e.g. allows \
attracting contributors to the goal to get the work done, as also seen in the thread \
already.

The idea of adopting Discourse as a replacement for the old forums has been around \
for a number of years, and I would say it's probably become more compelling with \
time. KDE Forums hasn't seen a lot of work and Discourse has risen 8n popularity and \
familiarity. It's at least worth investigating with an open mind now. If the \
investigation finds road blocks (capacity, technical, others) we can discuss them \
further - constructively, without being strangely afraid others will make decisions \
without them. The only way that happens is by not communicating.

I would suggest making a rough proposal on what this really means operationally. How \
would we migrate, how would we sundown, what sort of work would Discourse need, what \
sort of setup and infra are required. Sysadmin should ideally provide input there \
based on experience, implementation policy, etc. Then we know what we need, what we \
don't have, and what we think we should do about it.

Cheers,
Eike