List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla
From:       Christoph Cullmann <christoph () cullmann ! io>
Date:       2019-07-04 17:00:13

On 2019-07-04 18:11, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On donderdag 4 juli 2019 17:54:23 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
>
>> If so, then it seems like the ideal state of affairs would be to
>> replace
>> Bugzilla with GitLab issues as a new bug-reporting front-end for
>> users,
>> and then there would be a separate back-end like what Phabricator
>> Tasks
>> currently offers us that's visible only or mostly to developers, where
>> the issues can be categorized, organized, and discussed, and
>> higher-level projects can be coordinated with something. If we can get
>> something like this, that seems like the ideal outcome to me.
>
> No, exactly the other way around. Bugzilla should stay for users
> reporting bugs -- it's the user generated reports that need all the
> managing, not the developer tasks. Do we really want to spend time
> maintaining scores of labels so we can tag, ourselves, manually, the
> platform for a user report and all the other things? Gitlab is just
> not suitable for a user-facing issue reporting system. Bugzilla is
> better at that, much, much better.

I agree with that.

Bugzilla is nice for user reports, it provides powerful features
to manage a lot of bugs. Some future update will bring all niceties
that ATM only are available on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org.

GitLab issues are nice, too, for e.g. internal developer tasks, like
the Phabricator tasks.

I don't see any issue in keeping this separation that way around.

If teams want to organize/plan their stuff on GitLab with issues, all is
fine.

But to fragment the user reports over two systems (and it is actually
worse: over bugzilla + XXX projects on gitlab) or to move the user bugs
to some system not that suitable seems weird to me at least.

Actually, out of my experience, the bugs.kde.org UI is the least problem
we
have, but more the tremendous amount of bugs (even if you discard
duplicates/invalids)
and the lack of manpower to handle them.

Greetings
Christoph

--
Ignorance is bliss...