List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2019-07-04 16:39:53

On donderdag 4 juli 2019 17:54:23 CEST Nate Graham wrote:

> - bugs.kde.org currently offers a subpar UX for users reporting issues,
> compared to GitHub/GitLab/potentially the future Bugzilla 6 upgrade.

Um, actually, now that I think of it, that also needs a bit of substantiation. What \
are the things that would make gitlab offer a better issue reporting experience for \
users?

Is it really true that gitlab's UX is less frightening for our non-technical users? \
How easy is it to actually find the place to file a bug against GIMP starting from \
gitlab.gnome.org?

Is it really true that gitlab makes reporting bugs easier for our users? I.e., does \
it offer easier login, an easier way to add screen shots and screen recordings or \
crash logs?

Is it really true that gitlab makes it easier for our users to make reports of a \
better quality? Like, better wizards, forms, support for smarter templates, more ways \
to cross-check a bug report with other bug reports, or cross-check the internal \
consistency? Is it easier for a user reporting a bug on gitlab to tell us which OS, \
version of OS, version of the application they are using?

Does gitlab offer convenience features for our users like replying by email? (I know \
that some people think email is on the way out, but in real life, everyone has email \
-- and if it were going out -- is there integration with instant messaging?) Does \
gitlab make it easier to be notified of events related to the issue?

We all know that gitlab has a rich text editor. This is modern, but how important is \
that, actually? And how important is it to have a rich text editor in our issue \
reporting system right now? Are we experience a decline in the number of user reports \
because more and more people don't want to use bugzilla?

--
https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org