List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Discourse
From:       Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame () kde ! org>
Date:       2018-10-29 20:55:54

Il giorno Mon, 29 Oct 2018 18:31:54 +0000
Jonathan Riddell <jr@jriddell.org> ha
scritto:
> contributors not wanting to get into them.  Our KDE Forums also look
> quite old school.  In Fedora they moved to Discourse and mailing
> lists and forums and saw a marked increase in engagement.

"Old school" because few people are willing (if any) to put up with
maintenance. This has been going for quite a while, unfortunately.

I have my fair share of issues with Discourse (I run into it daily when
checking the support forum of my router):

- As far as I remember, they *only* supported deployment with Docker.
  This is is IMO a terrible and black-magic approach
- It uses (used to use?) PostgreSQL as database, for which Sysadmin
  isn't really keen on using unless absolutely necessary
- The UX is not as best as it looks, hijacks stuff like the back button
  on the browser and what not
- The "app" on mobile is a joke, basically a web view of the mobile page

> I think KDE should consider moving away from mailman and onto

Does Discourse have a mail interface to avoid breaking user workflows?
How should a migration be handled? Don't forget we'll lose distributed
archiving of the mailing lists as well (very useful).

> Discourse and at the same time forum.kde.org could move to this more

What about the old posts? Did anyone consider a migration? We don't want
to lose old content, after all.

Also, don't forget that "should", to quote a seminar I was at recently,
should become "I/we/they will". If no one is willing to put support
with the (aged! I'm not saying it's perfect) forum infrastructure why
do you think one would put up with the new?