List:       kde-community
Subject:    Discourse
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jr () jriddell ! org>
Date:       2018-10-29 18:31:54

Discourse is modern forum and mailing list software.  Examples at \
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/ or https://discourse.ubuntu.com/

I went to a talk at the Embedded Linux Summit about how Fedora moved to use \
Discourse.  Similar to the discussion of moving away from IRC we had last year I see \
people moving away from mailing lists and new contributors not wanting to get into \
them.  Our KDE Forums also look quite old school.  In Fedora they moved to Discourse \
and mailing lists and forums and saw a marked increase in engagement.

I think KDE should consider moving away from mailman and onto Discourse and at the \
same time forum.kde.org could move to this more modern software. It might also help \
cover Boud's use case of a user support method for people with queries before the \
report a bug.

More coverage on last week's LWN
https://lwn.net/Articles/768483/

Discussing it in person it was pointed out that we do already use
Phabricator Workboards for much discussion and it might well overlap
there, although I don't think that would be any more of an issue than
mailing lists overlapping.

Jonathan