List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Improving our integration with KDE application teams, and supporting companies
From:       Dimitris Kardarakos <dimkard () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-08-25 17:02:19

As Cornelius has already mentioned, the debate is not about whether we want companies \
around the KDE community, or not. As long as we create high quality digital products, \
companies will always be around us.

Imho, what really matters is to start discussing on what kind of company ecosystem we \
want around our community. Afterwards, or maybe simultaneously, we may start talking \
about what we could do so as to construct such an ecosystem.

When I imagine this ecosystem, I see social purpose companies and not "only for \
profit" ones. These companies are governed by their social mission and not by their \
lust for profit and growth. I would be proud of a KDE "doing business" with companies \
that create products or provide services that fullfil social needs. Example: \
entrepreneurial initiatives to create privacy oriented, plasma mobile devices with \
long term support, made of recyclable components that users may substitute when \
broken.

Moreover, I see generative companies that improve the KDE output, allocating \
resources for upstream work. Although we cannot prevent extractive companies that \
just consume our work for making profit from existing, I do not see them as our \
partners, since they do not improve our community and jeopardize its sustainability.

In addition, I would like to cooperate with non hierarchical companies, where people \
do not work overtime to reach deadlines imposed on them by upper management. I' d \
really enjoy working with companies having as purpose to create livelihood for their \
members. And when success leads to the creation of surplus, the surplus would not be \
invested to financial products but it would be shared with the community, supporting \
KDE e.v. and more importantly, supporting similar entrepreneurial initiatives.

So, this ecosystem does not consist of competitive companies. In a sustainable \
ecosystem the output of one is the input of the other. There should not exist \
companies that both create two distinct kirigami based file managers with similar \
features. Instead, companies that coordinate, working on different features and \
adding back to kirigami the components it lacks of, avoiding duplication of effort \
and wasting of resources, as well as reducing the environmental footprint.

In the vision of KDE is mentioned:

"Of course, there is much more to life than the 'digital' part. While we all want \
freedom and control in the other parts too, influencing that is beyond KDE's scope, \
so we limit our vision to 'digital life'."

I believe that the creation of an ethical ecosystem that may allow contributors to \
make a living by working on what they really love is a huge step towards freedom.

--
Σταλμένο από τη συσκευή μου Android με το K-9 Mail.  \
αρακαλώ συγχωρήστε την ολιγολογία μου.