List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: KDE licence policy update
From:       Matthew Dawson <matthew () mjdsystems ! ca>
Date:       2017-02-20 6:35:09

On Friday, February 10, 2017 2:54:52 PM EST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> I'd like to get back to my proposed update of the KDE licence policy
>
> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy/Draft
>
> I got some comments from Matija Å uklje which I incorporated and it now
> includes a handy changelog.
>
> -Allow AGPL for web apps
> -Encourage AGPL for web apps
The draft looks generally good to me, thanks for doing this!  My one concern
is this encouragement of AGPL for web apps.  While I was originally for AGPL
being recommend for web apps, I'm no longer sure that it is a good option.
Lawyers seem to be less sure how AGPL behaves for software that would
integrate with proprietary bits, which may cause large organizations to not
use our software.  At the same time, lawyers are a cautious bunch and may
never like the AGPL if it isn't used more/tested in courts.

I'm all for having AGPL software in KDE!  Currently, I'm just not sure
recommending it is a good option.  Other then that, the draft looks good to me
aside from the comments others have raised.

--
Matthew