List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: [kde-community] Should we allow non-KDE projects to participate in GSoC under KDE?
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2016-02-10 17:28:43

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Vishesh Handa wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2016 11:51, "Jonathan Riddell" <jr@jriddell.org> wrote:
> >
> > I also heard a suggestion from Vishesh that projects like Amarok
> > shouldn't be allowed in GSoC because they are not very active.   It
> > seems nonsense to block projects from having activity on grounds that
> > they are not very active.
>
> I stand by this.
>
> If a project has no developers who actively contribute to it, putting students on \
> it with the hope that they will take care of it, is too optimistic.

I don't want to argue for or against concrete examples, but I do agree that it's not \
fair to the students to tease them witha project that might sound cool, but hasn't \
got mentors available. And if there aren't developers, how can there be mentors?

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org