List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: [kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github
From:       Vishesh Handa <me () vhanda ! in>
Date:       2015-09-19 11:55:28

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Martin Steigerwald <martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>> Testing and QA are important parts of creating a product. They most
>> certainly are part of the "development process". Providing a Windows
>> version of Krita does force me to install these tools if I wish to
>> contribute to that part of Krita.
>
> Vishesh, please: If you *wish* to contribute to that part of Krita, how can
> you be *forced* to use Windows?
>
> If you are not interesting in the Windows version, you just ignore it.

Lets use the analogy of KRita and Windows Binaries being one part of
it. Your statement implies that if I'm not interested in Windows, I
can ignore that part of Krita. (Even though statistically Windows has
a greater market share than Linux + OSX combined)

Similarly, ProjectX in one part of KDE. If you're not interested in
contributing to a project which also supports a proprietary platform
(but does not recommend it), then you can ignore it.

> I see only one kind of pressure that comes from a Windows version of Krita and
> that is some pressure to provide for portability. From a development point of
> view I see this as an advantage. It can even prevent platform lock-in.
>
> Well okay, I know get your argument: If a user reports a bug on Windows, one
> can feel pressured to do something about it. Similar like with an issue
> provided on github.com. That said, I likely won ´t feel pressured. Cause if
> there is a Windows team for Krita, I expect this team to handle Windows
> specific bug reports and likely would ignore them otherwise.

And the maintainer of ProjectX would be part of this *github* team and
you can expect them to handle those specific bug reports / pull
requests.

For Baloo, I've explicitly disabled it for Windows and OSX. I have the
ability to chose my platforms as a KDE project. Similarly, the
argument can be made that Github can be just another platform which
projects can choose to be part of.

--
Vishesh Handa