List:       kde-buildsystem
Subject:    Re: skipping the kdeinit magic on windows (Re:
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-04-17 9:46:05

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Strictly speaking we can't do this, it would break source compatibility.
> KDE 4.0 has been released, and there kde4_add_kdeinit_executable(kfoo) creates
> a target kdeinit_kfoo, which is referenced in the CMakeLists.txt.

Easy then, let's used a new name for the new macro - leaving the kde-4.0 macros as \
they were, but providing a new and easy way of writing kdeinit executables.

> > If we use
> > kde4_kdeinit_link_libraries+kde4_kdeinit_install, then we won't have to
> > change all the CMakeLists files in KDE, we will only have to change the
> > definition of those macros.
>
> I wouldn't like that. If at some point we would decide that kfoo doesn't have
> to be a kdeinit app anymore, this should be done by changing it from
> kde4_add_kdeinit_executable() to kde4_add_executable().

No I don't mean "if kfoo shouldn't be a kdeinit app".
I mean "if the whole kdeinit mechanism shouldn't exist anymore (for loading \
applications)". Which almost happened for kde4, and will very likely happen at some \
point (maybe kde5, maybe before, who knows).

> > It's all about putting all the logic into one
> > shared layer instead of spreading the exact same logic all over KDE.
>
> I don't agree here.
> Some logic is spread all over KDE, both in the sources as well as in the build
> files, and I really don't want to do more magic than absolutely required in
> the cmake stuff.

Code duplication is bad, whether in sources or in build files, I would think that is \
quite obvious.

But the one who codes decides, I'll let you go ahead if you're still not convinced.