List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       "Andrew B.Arthur" <aarthur () imaclinux ! net>
Date:       2001-07-28 19:13:42

On Friday 27 July 2001 07:39 pm, Sheldon Lee Wen wrote:
> > I like snapshot4 the most I think, maybe the gear should be moved behind
> > the 'E' instead of behind the 'K'.
> >
> > Would having "KDE" there help from a usability point of view?
>
> I believe it would. Some people agree, some don't. One thing that the gnome
> study pointed out was that the foot didn't mean anything to people b/c they
> did not associate it w/ gnome, or programs. The K is better being that it
> is the name KDE, but people new to KDE will not have the contextual
> information that we might have in order to make this guess. It was pointed
> out that a larger, and more pronounced button with better contextual
> information would help. Thus, the Kstart and KDE ideas (w/ or w/o the icons
> on the bottom).
>
> > Do we infringe on trademarks/patents if we have a "Start" button there?

Another possibility is put an "introductary" desktop background picture, that
is default the first time you start up KDE, that introduces you to the
desktop, and explains (of course) how to get rid of that desktop picture.

Of course, scaling such a picture to different screen sizes might not be
easily done, not to mention the confusion it might cause users.

--
Thanks,

Andrew B. Arthur
aarthur@imaclinux.net