List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Black shaft
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-08 13:08:09

#if Dirk A . Mueller
> But anyway, if it is too "graphical", it eats up too many resources and
> will likely be disabled, I think.

The idea I had was to raytrace all images in advance. With say 100 48x48
pngs, not much disk space is needed (less than 230k) and the screensaver
program could blit these to the screen. Even if they're all in memory at
once, it's still not that large. If you think about it, the KDE cog
can be shown front-on, and rotated 360 degrees with only very few pixmaps,
as it only takes 45 degrees worth to have the complete set.

I've been trying to do this myself, but I can't find a 3d modeller that
does what I want (I don't have access to a Windows machine, so I can't run
my favourite modeller - Imagine). There is a program that generates
cog shapes for povray, but it's a bit beyond me to make it generate the KDE
cog. Too much maths for me :(

> Yeah, that would be cool. I'm very motivated to do one, but I don't
> know if it should be "cool, 2d, eating up CPU" (so called
> cpu-benchmark-screensaver) or "cool, 3d, burning the gfx-board" (so
> called gfx-benchmark) or more "nice, but also runs on my i386sx16".

I think one that simply blits a small pixmap to the screen should
run ok on a 386.

Cheers,
Rik