List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Black shaft
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-09-08 11:57:16

Rik Hemsley <rik@rikkus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Well, Torsten's gone away and passed me the big black shaft for the
> next three months.

Where is he gone to?

> 4) Screensavers.

>   We need some ! Actually, I think we need only one - one that
> actually  has something to do with KDE.

That's a good point.

>   If anyone has the technical skills to make a raytraced KDE cog
> bounce  around the screen, please, do it !

No problem with OpenGL, more problems using standard xlib.

But anyway, if it is too "graphical", it eats up too many resources and
will likely be disabled, I think.

On the other side, windows systems usually either run one of those
fancy OpenGL screensaves or something like Marquee (with a stupid
message) or the standard Winlogo-starfield-simulation. All of them are
very CPU intensive.

>   I want to watch the news in 2000 and see a KDE screensaver across
> the room  on someone's machine. Anyone else agree ?

Yeah, that would be cool. I'm very motivated to do one, but I don't
know if it should be "cool, 2d, eating up CPU" (so called
cpu-benchmark-screensaver) or "cool, 3d, burning the gfx-board" (so
called gfx-benchmark) or more "nice, but also runs on my i386sx16".

A "nice but also runs on my i386sx16" thing is something like
xdaliclock (a morphing digital numbers clock) as screensaver, combined
with a small KDE related artwork (logo, background pic, whatever) and
the possibility to add some text messages (the first thing most users
do is editing that text message to their personal favourite).

> Oh, no animations of Konqui the dragon flaming little terrified
> Gnomes please.

;-)

--
Dirk A. Mueller