List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Icons for apps?
From:       Jan Ekholm <chakie () infa ! abo ! fi>
Date:       1999-07-23 11:51:16

Someone asked here for an icon that would suit a specific task. This Made
me think about icons too. I also need some icons for my application, and
the problem here is that the icons needed aren't really normal 'office'
icons, such as cut, paste, open and close, but they are needed for
functionality in a game. I need icons for the toolbars of a chess-client
I'm developing, and the icons should represent functionality such as:

- accept/decline challenge
- chat (tell, shout)
- rematch
- different chess variants (standard, blitz, lightning...)
- seek a match
- forward/backward a move, to first/last move
- a lot more.

I'm no artist, so all the icons are just random ones I've picked from
/opt/kde/share/icons/, but they are totally meaningless for the task they
represent and just await to be replaced by better suited icons. Is there
some central 'icon storage' where I could check for some suitable icons,
i.e. a place where people have dumped all kinds of more or less weird
creations? Otherwise I'll just leave the weird icons as they are and rely
on people using the tooltips to  understand what they do. :-)