List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] [Back to Basics] Better animation for KWin effects
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-09-30 21:02:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 September 2012 21:38:29 Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> Ok soooo this is fairly complex land and most artists dont know much about
> this, only people with cinema/video/3d rendering experience know about this
> stuf. I know a few things so let me share what I know.....
>
> Ok you dont do motion blur that is essential to create something that our
> brain interperts as smooth.... our eyes work mush like any camera soo a fast
> moving object is seen by our brain as a shadow/tranparent like object that
> is mostly and simplifying the result of all the places the object was in a
> given time frame, if we simply show sharp versions of the objects in
> difrent places it will if the motion is fast enough make the objects jump
> from A to B to C / this can be mitigated by extremly high frame rates were
> the object is seen in much more in betwin places  an resulting in a much
> closer to reality preception by our brain, (our brain/eyes will meld all of
> those fames into one shadow element.) Or we can simulate a motion blur via
> shaders reducing the amount of fames we need to send to the screen, most
> screens cant do that many FPS any way so this is a better
> solution....(cinema as relative low framerates and things look smooth
> becouse of motion blur, interestingly 3D animation movies have to do post
> processing to create motion blur as well.)
motion blur is not difficult, if that would help we could think about adding
that. It would of course be costly but should be possible, but again "I need
help" ;-)

> Second, the efects tempos are a bit off and unatural at times depends on
> each efect, but i would try to aply some phisics laws to it by giving mass
> to elements and aplying the F=m*a so instead of spead/time we would aply
> forces to acelerate a movement or to stop it this should produce much more
> natural movements....(me notes that it will traslate to InQuad OutQuad
> animations but we shoud start with the basics and see how to transpose that
> into the sequential animations) aka aply force to object get constantly
> acelerated movment till max speed or what ever, aply same amout of force
> for the same amout of time to make it stop or use some brake atrit factor
> force that is dependent on speed to make it stop...
I had been wondering whether we should integrate a physics engine into KWin
for quite some time. That would allow to add force fields and all that stuff
you know from QML2. But again I need help. I have no problem implementing it
if I get the formula presented, but I cannot find it myself.

> Time as litle to do with it if done right the animations should look as
> smooth in uber slow motion as they do is super fast...
>
> There are many other litle things that are important to create smooth
> animations and like in many things the devil is in the details and a great
> deal of test and run needs to be done
yeah, I already feared that :-)