List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] [Back to Basics] Better animation for KWin effects
From:       Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-01 7:39:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, September 30, 2012 21:50:02 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > Fwiw, I personally think that the "Fast" is way too fast, for example
> > minimizing the window animation is not really seen as it is so quick. On
>
> animations do not always need to be (noticably) seen to be effective. this
> is,
> in fact, one of the common errors i see with animations in applications:
> the
> developer / designer feels that animations must be noticeable to be
> effective
> (my current pet peeve is "bounce out" effects that overshoot ;).

True, they don't have to be always noticably seen, but then what's the
point of the animation in the first place? ;) If you do not notice the
animation, there could just as well be none, which will even save resources
(arguably minimally).

> i've found that for most transition effects (where the effect is simply
> there to
> easy a transition between states but itself conveys no useful information)
> that 250ms is usually "just right", with some larger state changes
> benifitting
> from a slightly longer 330ms. there are some that work better with even
> lower
> times, as long as you can get the framerate up.
>
> my main personal wishes with kwin's effects are:
>
> * consistent, fast timing for all transitional effects; inconsistency gets
> noticed by the eye and makes it feel less "real"
> * keep states between transitions minimal; e.g. fading out when closing
> should
> not go through many steps and should fade quickly (so an OutCubic).
> basically,
> anything where something goes away should go away faster at the begining;
> antyhing where something "comes" should start quickly; this matches a
> person's
> desires quicker so that they aren't "waiting" for the animation (linear
> easing
> curves work in some cases, of course, like the sliding of the
> focus/windows in
> alt tab boxes)
> * transitions everywhere: for instance when moving a window it instantly
> goes
> translucent, a 100ms transition (even though it would only be 1-2 frames)
> would probably add something; another example would be when a window comes
> in
> front of another window via alt-tab, instead of just instantly showing it,
> very fast fade in would be great.

All of this^. Especially the transitions.

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer