List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Bug 163311
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-07-07 3:21:10

Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> Neutral, un-themed, generic, no-style etc. do not exist...it is a myth and
> anyone who has done real artwork would know that. I am sorry to put it that
> way and mean no harm or bad feelings but the truth is the truth.

I think that we are having a semantics problem.  While it is true that
  the Gnome, Tango, and KDEClassic themes are totally neutral,
un-themed, generic, no-style, and etc. (what ever) -- they have to have
some style otherwise they would look identical, it is also true that
some other icon themes have a much stronger thematic aspect than these.

I suppose that even the icons I made with the intention of their being
totally unthemed have some theme aspects [see attached 1, 2, & 3].  In
this case, I did choose a color for the shading to match KDEClassic.
But, is that a theme?

Just to remind you, my concern about icon style is not one of taste but
rather of usability.  This was a large issue with CrystalSVG.  It is
much less of an issue with most Oxygen icons except that some of them
seem to have some of the same problems (e.g. lack of tonal range, high
average brightness).

I suppose that even the icons I made after that which do not include
shading to match KDEClassic still have some style [see attached 4, 5, & 6]

IAC, the point which the spec should probably make is that icons in
HiColor should be *more* neutral.  Which would be more correct if there
is no 100% neutral.

I also note that I consider some of the other points in the posing much
more important than the fine distinction between very little (less)
style and no style.

--
JRT

["view_fit_height.png" (image/png)]