List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] [RFC] Icons "view" & "view-close"
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-01 0:30:02

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Saturday, 31. May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> pinheiro wrote: <SNIP>
>>
>>> James, couple of things .... we usuly put the x on the side, we
>>> dont use the shadow under action any more, and we do special
>>> versions for 16, 22, and 48.
>> I hope that these are OK for "view".  If OK, I can commit them.
>
> If I'm correct, the icons that you attach for "view" are the same
> ones that are currently in use as "view-close".

Actually, that is the case with other themes, but, if you check you will
see that the present Oxygen version of "view-close" has a red button
which is not suitable for the generic "view" icon [see attached].

> We already have small versions for those icons, so there is no need
> to post them again for "view" as it's the same icon.

Actually, He said that the small ones were not satisfactory and after
looking at them closely, I agreed, so I worked on the small icons after
making a slightly modified SVG that renders better in small sizes.

Note that there is still a problem with PNG rendering of SVGs.  Even a
boundary between the icon and the background that falls exactly on a
pixel boundary still has an Alpha of other than 255 which makes the icon
less visible in small sizes.

IAC, I was a bit surprised that the sharp small icons aren't much (if
any) better than the existing fuzzy ones in the smaller sizes.

> So Nuno meant that we need small versions for the version with
> additional "X" - the other icon can just simply be moved away from
> "view-close" (or be replaced altogether).

Don't think that is what he meant.  IAC, if we can decide on where we
want the "X" it is a simple matter to add them.

I think that the icons I posted still needed some work to have good
visibility at 5mm screen size.  I know how I would improve them [see
attached "*_1.png"] but I don't know if the Oxygen team would approve.

--
JRT

PS  Please view the attachment at 100%.

["view_icons2.png" (image/png)]