List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] [Fwd:  Icons for: FitToPage, FitToWidth,
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-01 0:04:42

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 29 May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> and, therefore, the third should logically be named:
>>
>> zoom
>>
>> This results in a (possibly) valid issue that if an icon:
>> "zoom-fit-*" is not available that the icon loader will fall back
>> to "zoom".
>
> which is why themes must simply provide a zoom-fit at minimum.

An interesting suggestion.  The problem is that there is no icon name
"zoom-fit"

> the fallbacks are not there to replace proper themes, otherwise it
> would be possible to create a usable theme with a dozen or so icons
> ;)

I see a need for fallback icons where KDE has added icons that are not
in the name spec.  This is the case with "view".  Whether or not that is
relevant with the question of the "zoom" icon depends on what the icons
for FitToPage, etc. are named.  If they are named, "view-fit-*" then it
is not relevant.  However, IAC, the icon named "viewmag" in KDE3 is
needed and the simplest and most logical name for it is simpy "zoom".

> the fallbacks are there for where it makes sense and the mechanism is
>  defined in a generic way (as opposed to explicit per-use-case
> fallback paths) so that the solution can be used wherever it may make
>  sense now and in the future.

Yes, I agree.  For the fallback code to work and for it to be simple,
the icon names must be logically structured according to set theory or a
tree diagram (they accomplish the same thing, pick your poison).

> so i don't think it matters much to try and prevent zoom-fit-*
> missing from falling back to zoom: that's exactly what ought to
> happen, though icon themes that let that happen can only be described
>  as incomplete.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with that (it is starting to look
like "bikeshedding") but if this is a problem, then it can be solved by
using "view-fit-*" based names for the actions FitToPage, etc..

>> One proposed solution for this is to rename "viewmag" to
>> "page-zoom". This appears to be a poor choice since:
>
> i would agree.
>
>> We also have the "view-*" set of icon (or tree if you prefer that
>> math metaphor).  I think that it has been agreed that the:
>> "view_remove" (KDE4: "view-close") icons are not satisfactory and
>> that they have been misused by various apps.
>
> can you give some examples of the misuse?

Jakob brought this up.  I wouldn't really call it misuse, but any use
that isn't closing or removing something isn't going to work with a
proper "view-close" icon that incorporates a red "X" like other such icons.

--
JRT