List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] New Oxygen icon "page-zoom"
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-05-26 12:48:22

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Monday, 26. May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> You mentioned a lot of things that you have done and considered, but you
>> have not listed logical consistency among them.  The naming standard and
>> logical consistency are the two most important things.  This means that
>> we need to consider finite mathematics, set theory, and tree diagrams in
>> considering what to name icons.
>
> Consider, yes. Use as sole, unchangable truth, no.

Mathematics is an absolute and unchangeable truth.

But, here is how I see this.  The math doesn't care what the names are,
the choice of words is totally subjective and should be made based on
what we think will be best.  OTOH, the hierarchal relationship between
icon names is where set theory and tree diagrams are important.

> Remember, we're not here to gain a doctorate in mathematics.

We are not talking about anything near that level.

> We're here to make icons work for people across desktops.

Geez, it gets worse.  First the leftist Ontology and now simple
anti-intellectualism. :-D  What is an engineer to do?

Math is not something you take in college and then forget about.  Math
is the language used to describe how things work.  Set theory and tree
diagrams are the tools to logically organize things.

> If logic is not suited to achieve that goal, it will only be a secondary goal,
> *after* making icons work for people.

It is my belief that it should be obvious that an icon naming scheme
that is logically consistent is not a secondary goal since such an icon
scheme will work for the developers and users -- conversely, one that is
logically inconsistent will not work well for people.

--
JRT