List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] New Oxygen icon "page-zoom"
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-05-26 12:14:24

Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> On Monday 26 May 2008 12:27:13 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Jakob Petsovits wrote:
>>> "unthemed" as in "default Oxygen icons" as opposed to "the icons
>>> of the 3rd party theme that the user has selected".
>> Sorry, but "unthemed" means HiColor.  All other icon themes have a
>> theme (Ah Ha! a tautology).

I do hope that nobody took this remark seriously.

> And we have had this conversation before. There is no such thing as
> an unthemed theme. Every piece of artwork has some style/look which
> can be defined.

The icon theme spec defines HiColor as unthemed.  I agree that that is a
poor choice of words.  However, the meaning is clear that HiColor icons
are to be generic.  This is not true of other icon themes where the
intent is to have a definite style.  So referring to Oxygen as
'unthemed' is nonsense.  Being the default does not make it unthemed.

> Saying otherwise is simply silly and shows that one has little
> experience as an artist.

I wouldn't say that.  But, yes, generic is in itself a style.

> I support Jakob 100%. His work has been invaulable.

Yes, and could have been even more valuable if he had documented his work.

> All things considered this is a minor issue. Let's not make a
> mountain out of a mole hill.

There is an important and very general question here.  This issue is
whether or not an icon name tree should have an icon for fallback.  It
seemed obvious to me that it should and he is *totally* opposed to that
and his reason appears to be that he doesn't like the idea.

--
JRT