List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] New Oxygen icon "page-zoom"
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-05-24 8:53:29

On Saturday, 24. May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > On Friday, 23. May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >> This icon name isn't in the standard and it does not conform to the
> >>  standard.  So that probability is very low.
> >
> > Right, but note that "zoom" is not in the spec as well.
>
> Yes, that is correct.  But, KDE will install Oxygen "zoom" if it exists
> and then if a third party icon theme is used that doesn't have
> "zoom-fit-width" (which isn't in the theme either) we will have
> something for fallback.  I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Ok, I try it one last time:

"zoom-fit-width" should not fall back to "zoom", because "zoom" serves a
*different* purpose and is therefore not appropriate as fallback icon.
In that case, it's perfectly fine that "zoom-fit-width" doesn't use a
fallback, because there *is* no sensible fallback. Without sensible fallback,
it makes much more sense to use the original icon, not the wrong fallback.

Imagine a toolbar that includes "zoom-in", "zoom-out", and "zoom-original".
Using a 3rd party theme that does not include all required icons.
What do you want:

a) The same icon three times from the selected theme:
   "zoom", "zoom" and "zoom", next to each other.

b) The original, "unthemed" icons "zoom-in", "zoom-out" and "zoom-original".

We get (a) if I name the zoom tool icon "zoom", and the 3rd party theme
provides "zoom" but not "zoom-in", "zoom-out" and "zoom-original".

Let me tell you clearly that (a) is unacceptable for me, and will happen over
my suspended SVN account. If kdeartwork efforts are going to stall because
you can't live with my decision, then so be it. If you manage to work
productively with the artists and coders in my place and push me from
my oh so high throne as naming coordinator, then so be it.

But as long as I have a say, I cannot allow a naming scheme that causes
incomprehensible action icons where there is a perfectly working alternative
scheme (which would be "page-zoom").

That is my last mail on this issue. All my arguments have been told,
multiple times, and I hate to repeat myself. You might say that's a lack
of "engineer skills", I think it's better to stop when there's no way out.

Regards,
  Jakob