List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Missing Oxygen "view-fit-*" icons
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-05-11 20:46:25

On Saturday, 10. May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> We appear to be missing:
>
> 	view-fit-height
> 	view-fit-width
> 	view-fit-window
[snip]
> These icons have been posted to FreeDesktop.org as missing icons.

Right, and also
- they didn't (yet?) get into the spec, mainly caused by inactivity of the
  spec maintainers that didn't care to act on the discussion in the xdg list.
- plus, I thought we had agreed to use zoom-* as prefix instead of view-*?

Short recap of the xdg discussion for everyone who didn't follow it
(i.e. Nuno, I assume):

- JRT suggests these icons for inclusion
- jimmac suggests to use zoom-best-fit instead of view-fit-window,
  and to drop the "page" icons in favor of generic magnifier glasses
- JRT disagrees with jimmac, saying it would GNOME-ify us
- I suggest to use zoom-fit-{width,height,best}-page for "page" icons,
  so that they fall back to zoom-fit-{width,height,best}
- JRT basically agrees, and we still discuss some minor details
- neither dobey nor jimmac take any action in the spec, to this day
- at least I pursued dobey in time to rename zoom-best-fit to zoom-fit-best

So, based on the discussion, I'd still say we need icon in any case:
zoom-fit-width (magnifier glass for zooming to the width of the window)

and four optional ones:
zoom-fit-height (magnifier glass for zooming to the height of the window)
zoom-fit-best-page (like the view-fit-window icon that James attached)
zoom-fit-width-page (like the view-fit-width icon that James attached)
zoom-fit-height-page (like the view-fit-height icon that James attached)

If we've got zoom-fit-width, we could adjust Okular (or rather, the
KStandardActions) to use that one and zoom-fit-best for the "Fit to width"
and "Fit to window" actions. That would make us look like GNOME's Evince
(hm... good or bad thing?), but would work ok still.

If we've got the *-page icons too, we can go back to the KDE 3 approach of
using the "page" icons instead of the magnifier icons for fit-to-whatever.

> We have HiColor icons for these which were installed as KDEClassic when
> it was decided that we couldn't have HiColor icons even when needed for
> fallback.  There are also Slick icons but only in 16x16 & 22x22.
>
> The HiColor icons are attached.  Are these enough like Oxygen to install
> as Oxygen?

That would be poison for any artistic consistence. I share your preference for
making stuff work correctly before making it beautiful, but using non-Oxygen
icons in the Oxygen namespace is really something that we should hand over to
incompetent 3rd-party application developers, we can't do that.

If Nuno says he'll get us at least the zoom-fit-width icon in time then
I believe that we don't need to think about such drastic measures.

> Or, can we resolve the HiColor issue (a fallback theme must
> have icons in it or it is useless) and install them as HiColor?

Oxygen is kdelibs' fallback, and this issue has been discussed at length here
already, please don't bring it back unless you've got new arguments that
might convince the people that you didn't convince before.

Anyways, this thread may not become another instance of the awful discussions
that haunted kde-artists previously.

Wishes,
  Jakob