List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] KDE Icon naming data base
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-07-10 22:42:56

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Do we think that it would be a good idea to post this somewhere on
>> SVN so that everyone can work on it.
>
> we already have used a spreadsheets for exactly this stuff
> playground/artwork/Oxygen/docs/ for the reasons you describe.

I found a spreadsheet that is 3 months old and appears to be for a
slightly different purpose.  If this is being actively worked on, I
wonder why nothing was changed for 3 months.

However, the data might be usable.

What Jakob Petsovits says is needed is an action plan to get all of the
names correct.  If this spreadsheet is for that purpose, might I ask if
we already have a plan?  And, why are we keeping the database a secret?

> we also prefer the ODS format if at all possible (i don't even have
> gnumeric installed, and i doubt i'm the only one)

Well, I really don't like OpenOffice.

> the nice thing about using a wiki is that it is easier to community
> edit and much easier to refer to, esp to people outside the project;
> the bad thing is that it can be unwieldly. in this case, probably all
> the page needs is some tables to make the data more readable.

Well, I tried that.  I haven't worked on this page, but I use it as an
example:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/namingSpec/apps

Note where it says:

  current-icon-name        -> new-icon-name
  another-icon-name        -> another-new-icon-name

Apparently, I am too stupid to figure out what the "current-icon-name"
and "new-icon-name" are because I was promptly told that I shouldn't use
the KDE3 icon names, then was told that I should simply ignore the icon
if it was in Tango and not in the FD.o spec.  It appears that I was
supposed to ignore the clear instructions as quoted above and make a
list of FD.o icon names with OK after each of them.  The OK meaning that
they were in Oxygen and have the correct name.  Apparently, if they
weren't in Oxygen, they weren't supposed to be in the list.  This seems
very different from:

	old_name        -> new-name

So, after a while with no specific instructions as to what I was
supposed to do, but sufficient negative feedback to see that it was not
possible to do anything that was more than "busy work", I saved the data
  I had generated in the spreadsheet.

Now, if there is useful work that needs to be done, I am willing to make
another attempt.

> p.s. why was this cross posted to kde-devel?

Because it is the developers that will determine which of the icons are
still being used.  Are we making any effort do determine which icons are
still needed?  If you had read my previous posting there, you would have
seen that.

--
JRT