List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Icon naming issue
From:       Matthias Clasen <mclasen () redhat ! com>
Date:       2007-04-30 19:07:41

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 11:57 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> "It is recommended that the icons installed in the hicolor theme look
> neutral, since it is a fallback theme that will be used in combination
> with some very different looking themes."
>
> My reading of this is that HiColor is a fallback theme that should
> contain neutral ('unthemed', generic, or whatever) icons and that it
> should be a full set of icons -- if not a full set, what will there be
> to fall back to?

>From my perspective, the whole "full theme" vs "fallback" is a total red
herring. A "full theme" is an impossibility anyway, until we get much
better buyin from various desktops for the the icon naming spec.

The spec simply states that hicolor will always be tried, and that it
will be the last. That means that it is a good place to install
icons to, which you need to be available regardless which theme the user
selects.