List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] A case for go-{first/previous/next/last} oxygen icons
From:       Jarosław_Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-04-30 21:53:43

Hello,
I've prepared mocups that tells you all what's the potential problem: Oxygen
icons for go-first, go-last actions are too similar to go-previous, go-next,
respecially, when we use 16x16 sizes or just larger resolutions.

That's because go-first, go-last use dot instead of a vertical line.
While I value innovaion related to the dot, the dot is quite small.
(that's why I CC'd this post to usability ML too)

Original KDE3/Kexi1.x icons:
[1] http://kexi-project.org/pics/icons/navigation/navigation_icons_original.png
The problem with the dot:
[2]
http://kexi-project.org/pics/icons/navigation/oxygen_navigation_icons_problem.png
Even more viible problem when "flat" interface is used:
[3]
http://kexi-project.org/pics/icons/navigation/oxygen_navigation_icons_problem2.png

Would using icons like 'media-skip-forward' be a solution? It's more like
fast-forward in meaning than the expected 'go to the very-last row'.

I would be satisfied with just adding the vertical lines instead of docs and
thus creating a new pair of database-first-row and database-last-row, if you
prefer such a simple solution.

I can also see a small relation to style of arrow icons within scrollbar
buttons, whatever it can look like in the default KDE4 widget style.

--

Another problem, in particular -- within Kexi (and thus any app utilizing
database-related actions) -- is that we would have problem with "go to new,

For now I have "+" icon, as you can see on [1], but in fact the "+" has never
been too accurate as the actions doea not add anything immediately, but just
moves the cursor.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek