List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Contributing to Oxygen
From:       Stefan Monov <logixoul () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-04-29 21:58:30

Hi there, David.
I just now got your mail, looks like it was stuck in the mod queue for a
fortnight.

Thanks for your work. I believe being sharp at tiny sizes is the most
important thing about an icon theme; it happens to be the reason I use
Linspire's "Crystal Project" icons, albeit in SUSE.

That said, many of the Oxygen 16x16 icons are _already_ pixel-perfect -
apparently the versions you took and improved were old ones. Try and checkout
Oxygen from svn to see improvements made to e.g. the image mimetypes. Then,
you can work on those. I suppose communication with the other artists is key,
so you don't work on the same thing (think irc).

About your new remote icon, it's very nice, though the 16x16 version seems
like an thumbdrive to me: the button arrangement is a lot like the USB logo.
I'd go with a more simplistic button arrangement for 16x16, like the one
attached. Plus I think the remote icon is overall hard to recognize, as it
seems upside-down to people used to holding one with a traditional button
arrangement [1]... maybe just flip it.

The basket icon looks too bland (then again a lot of Oxygen icons look so to
me... maybe I just don't get the intended feel ;). Maybe add a subtle
crosshatch pattern, kind of like my lazy crappy attached mockup. Besides, a
BasKet icon has been committed recently, and, frankly, I like its concept and
execution better than yours. Check it out as well, it's just spiffy.

> p.s. the CONTRIBUTING file in /kdelibs/pics/oxygen/ instructs people to
> mail artists@kde.org not kde-artists@kde.org. Which one is it?!?!
Well, kde-artists@kde.org works for sure. Dunno about the other.

Cheers,
Stefan the high-and-mighty Oxygen non-contributor :)

[1]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Television_remote_control.jpg

["basket-ugly-crosshatch.png" (image/png)]
["remote-simple.png" (image/png)]