List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] Contributing to Oxygen
From:       David Miller <djmdave () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2007-04-18 16:31:49

Hello all!

First of all: This is the first time I've contacted a open source project so
go easy on me! Also, its not my intention to sound superior or think that I
know more about icon design than you guys, or I think I am a better artist.
On the contrary, I am in awe of your work -- simply stunning stuff and wish
to be of assistance.

I've decided to start my email in this way because firstly I'm not experienced
in how to go about offering help to open source projects and want to ensure I
don't want to get off on the wrong foot. And secondly I want make it
absolutely clear that I don't want to offend any of you that have been
working on the oxygen icons for a while now if I say things like I feel I've
improved certain icons.

Anyway with the "disclaimer" out of the way I'll begin the actual
message.... :-)

So.. I've been quietly admiring the development of the oxygen icons in the
past 6 months or so. You guys really doing an excellent job. I'd like to
offer my services in the effort to help make the oxygen icons extensive
complete and beautiful at every size.

One thing I've been messing about with, is a selection of the action icons and
I've been trying to make them pixel perfect at the 16x16 size. I'd like to
show you what I've done so far so I've linked to  a lazy ksnapshot preview
[1]. I hope you like what I done, and have some constructive criticism.

Some of the icons such as the mimetype ones are very simple changes to the
current 16x16 'empty' mimetype file. Linked to is a comparison between mine
and the current ones [2]

With the application icons (knotes, kmail, konqui, konsole) all I've done is
to discard the unnecessary detail and rearranged the icons to better suite
the limited space in 16x16 pixels. The Ark action icons are heavily edited
for 16x16 as were the kgpg keys.

The only icons there that were created from scratch are the Basket and
remote-device icons which I've linked 128x128 versions to as well
[3]

Basically this email is to say that I'm someone who is very interested in
oxygen and making oxygen the best. Instead of "hacking" on the icons and not
contributing back, I hope this message is the first step on the path to
becoming an oxygen contributor. I would enjoy a project like this to channel
my energy into, and give back to KDE and the free desktop as a sign of
gratitude.

If you like what I've done, then please say so. Equally if you feel I'm not
quite hitting the nail on the head, or missing the point of oxygen icons and
don't understand the goals of the project, then please say where I am going
wrong.

I eagerly await any sort of reply.

Best Regards,
David Miller