List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Oxygen MIME type icons
From:       Danil Dotsenko <dd () accentsolution ! com>
Date:       2006-06-14 23:07:30

Wednesday 14 June 2006 11:53 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> David Vignoni wrote:
> > On 6/12/06, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote:
> >> I think that I am saying this again:
> >>
> >> I think that it is a bad idea to show the bottom right corner of
> >> the page folded.  This was a mistake in CrystalSVG and we shouldn't
> >> use that mistake as a reason to do it.
> >>
> >> Most generic icons have the top right corner of the page folded.
> >> This is a de facto standard that should be followed.
> >>
> >> Having the lower right corner folded also creates lighting (shadow)
> >>  issues.  IIUC, the light source is normally upper left and the
> >> shadow from the lower right corner folded does not look like that
> >> is the position of the light source.
> >>
> >> In general, I might suggest that some of the shadows could be
> >> refined by use of a ray trace 3D rendering app.
> >>
> >> -- JRT
> >
> > That's an interesting point of view but I guess we won't change this
> > at all, at least, not untill the theme is finished and thousands of
> > people complain about the bottom right flap.
> >
> > David
>
> I really don't see that as a good attitude.  Design and usability
> shouldn't be determined by waiting for complaints.

There are 2 points you present in favor of moving the folded corner up.
1. To look like other platforms
2. Shadows are difficult to draw.

I don't see why #1 is in any way relevant. Unless you draw an exact copy of
the mime icon, Oxygen's mime's will stand out no matter what due to subtle
differences in shading / filler styles. Look at windows icons from Adobe
(pdf) as an example - they use a slightly different base and hence stand out
as a sore thumb, despite having the right corner folded.
As long as the mime icon set is complete and homogeneous  on YOUR platform,
the folded corner location doesn't matter.

Point #2 is just a matter of tweaking and skill. Imho, the team's shadows are
a good balance between best achievable and most practical.

--
Danil Dotsenko

 (\ /)
(O.o)