List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Oxygen MIME type icons
From:       Kenneth Wimer <kwwii () bootsplash ! org>
Date:       2006-06-14 19:13:32

On Jun 14, 2006, at 8:53 PM, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> David Vignoni wrote:
>> On 6/12/06, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote:
>>> I think that I am saying this again:
>>>
>>> I think that it is a bad idea to show the bottom right corner of
>>> the page folded.  This was a mistake in CrystalSVG and we shouldn't
>>> use that mistake as a reason to do it.
>>>
>>> Most generic icons have the top right corner of the page folded.
>>> This is a de facto standard that should be followed.
>>>
>>> Having the lower right corner folded also creates lighting (shadow)
>>>  issues.  IIUC, the light source is normally upper left and the
>>> shadow from the lower right corner folded does not look like that
>>> is the position of the light source.
>>>
>>> In general, I might suggest that some of the shadows could be
>>> refined by use of a ray trace 3D rendering app.
>>>
>>> -- JRT
>
>> That's an interesting point of view but I guess we won't change this
>> at all, at least, not untill the theme is finished and thousands of
>> people complain about the bottom right flap.
>>
>> David
>
> I really don't see that as a good attitude.  Design and usability
> shouldn't be determined by waiting for complaints.

I guess that David meant that we will await for a broader opinion on
this issue. If we hear more complaints like this one we will
certainly change it. It is meant in no way to disrepect your comment,
nor to say that you are wrong. In creating an entire icon set within
a limited amount of time, it is necessary to "optimize processes", to
use manager-speak.

Bye,
Kenneth