List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] Icon issues
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-06-27 11:36:03

Do we think that it is possible to agree on how to do this?

We need to have plan for the HiColor icons.  I am willing to do this,
but I must have some agreement on what I should do.  Please!

I think that this is not controversial:

To prevent increasing the size of KDELibs and KDEBase, the HiColor icons
should be in the KDEArtWork module unless the corresponding Default
theme icon is missing.

I think that that is all. :-(  Everything else is still subject to
argument.  This is not an acceptable situation.  We must develop a plan
since I am not going to do things unless I see a plan and it is agreed to.

Well, I can, and will, add some missing KDEClassic icons.  But, I don't
even know what to do about new HiColor icons.  These new HiColor icons
are not KDE-2 style so they shouldn't be installed as KDEClassic.

So, that is the first issue I would like to settle.  The new HiColor
icons should be installed in:

	$KDEDIR/share/icons/hicolor/<size>/<type>

To simplify the Makefiles (you shouldn't have to patch the "Makefile.am"
to add an icon!!), these need to be in their own directory in the source
tree.  I suggest:

	kdeartwork/pics/hicolor

I would like agreement to add this directory, or a better proposal.

and that if at sometime in the future we need to have HiColor icons that
are to be installed as:

	$KDEDIR/share/apps/<app-name>/icons/hicolor/<size>/<type>

they should be in a directory:

	kdeartwork/pics/<app-name>/hicolor

There are several important issues, and I will write up a proposal.

Some to think about:

1.	There are a significant number of HiColor icons installed as
"crystalsvg" in both KDELibs and KDEBase.  If there aren't icons of the
current Default style available, these HiColor icons need to remain in
these packages.  But what is accomplished by installing them as
"crystalsvg" rather than "hicolor"?

2.	There are a significant number of non-KDE icons installed in KDEBase.
  Some of these are generic icons and some of them are Gnome default
style.  These are all installed as "crystalsvg".  I don't see why we
need these in KDE, but if we do, they should be in KDEArtWork and
installed as HiColor.

3.	Should we install CrystalSVG or CrystalClear application icons as
HiColor if there are perfectly good HiColor icons available?  Yes, other
desktops should have a way to access KDE Icon Themes other than HiColor,
but if you choose to use KDEClassic, you should get HiColor icons, NOT
Crystal styles.  And, what happens if an actual HiColor icon is
subsequently installed -- not good.

4.	Should we have an Icon Theme (name to be determined) that will use
first HiColor and second KDEClassic?  I tried this and it doesn't seem
to work.  There must be a bug in the Icon Loader. :-(

5. 	If we are going to fully support HiColor, how does KDEClassic fit in
with this?  Remember, other platforms will look for HiColor and
therefore will not find HiColor icons installed as "kdeclassic". :-(

--
JRT