List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Crystal,Everaldo, KDE and others subjects
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2005-06-24 23:50:43

* Everaldo <everaldo@everaldo.com> [Jun 24. 2005 22:19]:
> Hello
>
> I'm sending you the corrected text, sorry but as I don't speak English I ask to
> a friend to help me with the translation but she is not familiar to the
> informatics language, attached the corrected text:

Thanks for taking the time to make things right. I am sure you have a
busy schedule and that we all appreciate your effort. As an American
that has to speak/write German all day I can understand the
difficulties.

> Hello KDE artists,
>
> I have seen a lot of discussion about me, my work and KDE and decided to write
> some points that I would like to make known by everyone.
>
> 1-I'm not a KDE enemy.
> I've been working for three years, every day for KDE and wasn't few the number
> of night without sleep that I've dedicated to this project. This was KDE before
> I start to work on it  http://hellspawn.dnsalias.net/~mircomir/images/hobx11/
> kde2_1.gif <http://hellspawn.dnsalias.net/~mircomir/images/hobx11/kde2_1.gif>
> and this is KDE nowadays http://kdelook.org/content/pre1/25668-1.jpg <http://
> kdelook.org/content/pre1/25668-1.jpg> . A lot of things have changed since I
> started. I've done thousands of graphics for KDE and I believe that I can
> surely say that no other artist, even Trackat that was the artist that most
> contributed to KDE and that is my inspirations for many of my works,
> contributed with as many graphics as I did. I did it not expecting for money,
> disclosure or anything else. I did it for my desk top, some people like it and
> then the thing was spread.

full acknowledgement. You have defintely contributed a lot of graphics.

> 2-  I'm in love with KDE. This is the reason for me to dedicate so much time to
> this project. It is also the reason I've never stopped to work for KDE and why
> I never will.  I get nothing but personal realization, so please don't think
> KDE is doing me a favor.
>
> 3-   I'M NOT RICH. I'M NOT RICH. I mention twice the last sentence so you can
> really understand that. I don't count with someone to take care of my living
> while I'm drawing icons for KDE. I need to eat (believe me!  the body is a
> frail thing and if it don't get feed it may die, it is also not invulnerable to
> the weather changes and it needs clothes, so I need money to provide me this
> kind of things) and if you can't understand this, it is maybe because you don't
> live in a country that still have enormous social differences among its people
> like Brazil. I'M NOT RICH and this is the reason why I have to work and can't
> dedicate myself full time for KDE. I'M NOT RICH and this is the reason why I
> sometimes have no time to read all the emails that are sent to this email list.
> I'M NOT RICH and because that I've never take an English curse to make  my
> communication with you guys better. I'M NOT RICH and this is the reason I've
> never went to college. I'M NOT RICH and because of that I've never went to one
> of the KDE international conventions.

I don't think anyone worries whether you are rich or poor :-) Being rich or poor has
nothing to do with this.

> 4- Source Codes? There are such things for images? Where are the KDE wallpapers
> sources files? Where are the source codes of KDE splashes? The sources of
> Office splashes? I don't think it was a problem when they was included in the
> official packages. Sincerely, if you can't edit a 128x128 .png I think maybe
> you should rethink about your designer abilities. But even I've considered this
> a completely non sense request I'll send it as soon I can get my files
> organized. However you have to understand that not all the icons were developed
> in as vector file the greater part was made in pixels 128 x128 and then sizes
> up in to the small sizes so you may not get much vector files of the icons.

Admittedly, the small sizes need to be edited per hand and in such cases
there really is no source file, other than the pixmap.

The point is not that it is hard to add something to a 128x128 pixmap,
rather that it is very hard to take something away (in order to add
something else).

> 5- SGV. I use Adobe Illustrator to develop the vectors files. You may don't
> like this, if is so, I would ask you to create an opensource program that
> include the same A.I. facilities e tools and I will happily use it. The SVGs
> created by A.I CS are not supported by the KDE, I know that some technical
> problems exist but remember, I'm not technician I'm a designer/illustrator. The
> fact is that the icons developed in A.I. are not well supported by KDE and this
> is the reason why I have decided for developing the icons in .png. Another
> import fact is that the vector icons when sized up automatically do not
> maintain a nice visual in the small sizes. Maybe a good solution for that
> should be create a kind of SVG file for the KDE icons that include a simplified
> icons that would be used in smaller sizes and another , with more details, that
> would be used for bigger files. Anyways on the next days I'll be launching a
> new icon theme called "Vectorial" that will be entirely made in SGV and will
> use outlines for a better visualization of the smaller sizes, however this is
> not a visual that I like. I really think that the vector icons are the future,
> a proof of that is that Microsoft will use this technology on Longhorn http://
> i.cmpnet.com/desktoppipeline/story_art/lh5048_07.jpg <http://i.cmpnet.com/
> desktoppipeline/story_art/lh5048_07.jpg>   unfortunately, I have not found
> anything good for Linux yet.

Can't wait to see your new ideas :-)

> To conclude, I would like to say that have always been a great honor to
> contribute with KDE. A lot of people are happy with Crystal and a proof of that
> is the large number of downloads and the material that are launched all the
> time by people that are not from KDE taken Crystal as an inspiration. I really
> think that if you are not grateful for what you have you don't deserve what you
> do have. If you don't like the Crystal you are not forced to use it and please,
> if you don't have something relevant to say please, don't waist our time. To
> all you that have done a great work for KDE and for the community wait for the
> next few days the vector files.
>
> Thank you from all my heart,
> Everaldo

Bye,