List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Crystal Clear release!
From:       David Vignoni <david.vignoni () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-23 14:58:30

I think Luciano Montanaro and Hermann Thomas are right. Everaldo can
choose to or not release the "sources".
People are asking for SVG sources but icons aren't binary programs,
you don't have to compile a source to get the final icon and the is no
rule saying that a PNG image needs to have an SVG source. Let's think
about gnome icons. Most of them were made by Jimmac using the gimp, an
image editor, there are no vector. What's a source for a gimp made
icon? the XCF file?

I think KDE can choose to use LGPL distribuited icons without an
editable vector file like clear-crystal or to just say: no thanks.
We'll go with another icontheme with vector sources, or pick tthe best
icons from different lgpl icon themes.

You can't ask to Everaldo to make SVGs to be able to release his icons
under LGPL. Why he has to limitate his skills by using a not yet
perfect format? avoiding to use features from he's prefered
illustration tool?

I think a license different from LGPL needs to be created.

ciao,

David