List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Crystal Clear release!
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-23 14:26:18

El Jueves 23 Junio 2005 11:57, Anne-Marie Mahfouf escribió:
> On June 23, 2005 12:40 pm, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > >
> > > When he choose LGPL he had to stick to the license.
> >
> > No, when he chose LGPL, you and I have to stick to the license, not
> > him.
>
> yes and we are asking (he was asked) for the source so we can modify the
> source and redistribute the modified icons LGPL.
> I think the LGPL says that if we ask for the sources, he MUST give them.
> No?

Asking is one thing; demanding is another. If you (we) do not agree on the
license, or the licensed material, you can simply avoid using it.

My question is: do we want contributions and collaboration? If this is the
case, being a bit more diplomatic would go much farther than demanding
things. Because, if the license is invalid, Everaldo does not violate any
contract, but the users would not be legally able to use the files.

The real problem is that the GPL and LGPL licenses are meant for programs,
and graphics files are not dealt with at all.

> If someone says: my work is LGPL and when asked for the source he does
> not disclose it, then the LGPL is breached.
>
> (I am meeting Stallman soon and I can clear all misunderstanding so it'll
> be ... crystal clear)

This is good, I'd like for a clearer answer as well.
But maybe, there are other viable licenses, and he may advise on them too.
What about creative common licenses?

Luciano