List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Recent crystalsvg  and some older changes
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2005-04-02 17:45:12

qwertz wrote:

> Somewhere around KDE 3.3 some action icons were changed.
> If you compare the original ones http://ktown.kde.org/~qwertz/mykde.png
> with the present ones http://ktown.kde.org/~qwertz/Image13851.PNG you will
> notice the changes.
> Let me explain where i have problems with the current direction.
> The purpose of an icon is to represent a certain action by using  a
> distinct shape, color and visual appearance.
> Therefore by using the very same shape (circle) and color (blue) for
> different actions this purpose is totally lost

Yes, this is very unfortunate. I've seen more and apps using round icons,
and this *does* make them more difficult to distinguish.

There's a rule in animation that the action and pose of an character should
be clear even if the character was drawn only as a silhouette. For a nice
illustration, see:

http://hometown.aol.com/raulgarci/myhomepage/silouethe.htm

The same applies to icon design. If the shape of the object depicted is not
easily seen when the icon is rendered as a silhouette (note: a silhouette
rendering is not necessarily equal to a direct monochrome rendering), the
design is bad, and the icon should be changed.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer