List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Recent crystalsvg  and some older changes
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-04-02 8:41:36

Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in nearly every review of KDE, people complain that KDE is much to colourfull,
> teletubby like and childish. We try to make KDE look more professional and
> decent. This is needed if we want to attract more corporate users.

IMHO, corporate users and users that want something 'way cool' are never
going to be able to agree.  Therefore, I feel that we need to continue
to have full support of HiColor/KDEClassic for those that value
usability over the coolness factor.

> We keep the colorfull crystal look for most of the icons. But the action icons
> and especially the 16x16 ones in the menus should be a bit more unobtrusive
> and simpler. I don't think that we need 16 million colors in 16x16 pixels for
> a good looking desktop.

 From a technical point: when you make an icon small enough to the point
that more than two very different colors are combined into one pixel,
you have problems.  This is why some Crystal icons turn into fuzzy
colored blobs in the small (16x16 & 22x22) sizes.  The only cure for
this is simpler and more graphical icons.

--
JRT