List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Recent crystalsvg  and some older changes
From:       Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-31 16:37:29

Hi,

in nearly every review of KDE, people complain that KDE is much to colourfull,
teletubby like and childish. We try to make KDE look more professional and
decent. This is needed if we want to attract more corporate users.

We keep the colorfull crystal look for most of the icons. But the action icons
and especially the 16x16 ones in the menus should be a bit more unobtrusive
and simpler. I don't think that we need 16 million colors in 16x16 pixels for
a good looking desktop.

Please compare the 16x16 icons with icons in other desktops. For example
in OS X. You see that simpler icons can still look good and are better for
usability and accessibility.

We don't overwrite Crystal! KDE is using the CrystalSVG theme which is
different from to original Crystal theme from Everaldo.
Crystal is incomplete and didn't contain the SVG files of the icons. We asked
Everaldo several times for the SVGs and never get the files.

That's the reason why I and other worked for the last two years on fixing most
of the problems in the CrystalSVG theme. I think I fixed over 200 icons in
all KDE modules. I never got any icons or help from Everaldo.

Cheers
Frank