List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Recent crystalsvg  and some older changes
From:       Everaldo <everaldo () everaldo ! com>
Date:       2005-03-31 14:50:36

HI folks

I read the latest emails and though itīs my posture not to get too involved
in the kde artwork administration, Iīve decided to comment something on this
latest email. First, the fact of the matter is that my icons have been
modified and in many cases worsened and unfortunately I have no power over
this. This is mainly true, though for what reasons I know not, Iīve ever
been allowed to coordinate my own Crystal project. Iīve observed from a
distance what has been being done and have seen practically nothing new
other than recycled icons from the crystal icons. This isnīt bad after all
it contributes to as more consistent visual which certainly improves the
usability of the system. Nevertheless some of the modification as is the
case with the toolbar icons are on the brink of amateurship.

When I was introduced to Linux and KDE I fell in love with it and for their
cause. This was the main reason for creating the Crystal. Though I worked at
connective I began to develop the Crystal in my spare time  and since then
Iīve worked daily on the Crystal icons. Therefore I consider it a complete
lack of respect the criticism of my dedication to this project. I can safely
say that no one worried as much with the KDE artwork as I did.

As every one knows I live in Brazil and itīs a beautiful country to live in
but as most of you know it has huge social difficulties. When I left
Connectiva I needed to get a job so after working as a freelancer for a
while I started working for SuSe and presently I work for Linspire
(previously Lindows). What I expect from you is that I work to sustain my
family and that Iīve never abandoned kde, In fact quite the opposite is true
thanks to Linspire I can now work on it daily.

A new version of the Crystal is practically ready, and it isnīt simply a
remake but rather the result of years of interface design studies. Thatīs
why it will be one of the best icon themes in terms of usability in any
operational system. I donīt know exactly what the fear is of having a single
designer working on a theme. Thatīs how it works on GNOME and it seems to me
that they have no problem with that. In fact this is a community project and
all the Crystal contributes  were welcome. What in fact happens is that I
tend to evaluate the level of professionalism of the icons before including
them in the package. For the design of the Crystal clear icons there were
basically three artists involved. Rhandros Dembecki, Ingo Haraldsson

The Crystal is KDEīs most complete theme and I believe that this is the
general consensus. I never said no to a specific icon request asked of me
and many of the missing icons already have their basic elements available
within the package. Itīs quite unpleasant to hear ģEveraldo never made this
iconē.
To rap things up I would like to thank the KDE and the KDE community. Soon
we will be releasing a very large Crystal update. As always I will keep my
package available my way at KDE look and the KDE artwork coordinators will
make the necessary modifications and exclusions. I apologize if I seem curt
in this email or even rude, but since Iīm an artist I dislike seing my art
mistreated.

Thank you all,
Peace,
Everaldo Coelho