List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Recent crystalsvg  and some older changes
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2005-03-31 12:09:41

* qwertz <kraftw@gmx.de> [Mar 31. 2005 09:02]:
> When everaldo originally made the crystalsvg icon theme i was very happy.
> about.it because it gave KDE new fresh look that matched our new vivid
> direction after kde 3.1.Together with keramik the grey, gnome like days were
> over.

Yeah, I remeber that. I think pretty much everyone was happy back in the
day.

> I am however concerned about some recent(yesterday) and not so recent(kde
> 3.3/3.4) changes.
> Lets talk about the older changes first.
> Somewhere around KDE 3.3 some action icons were changed.
> If you compare the original ones http://ktown.kde.org/~qwertz/mykde.png with
> the present ones http://ktown.kde.org/~qwertz/Image13851.PNG you will notice
> the changes.
> Let me explain where i have problems with the current direction.
> The purpose of an icon is to represent a certain action by using  a distinct
> shape, color and visual appearance.
> Therefore by using the very same shape (circle) and color (blue) for
> different actions this purpose is totally lost
> For example: it is much easier to distinguish between the arrows and the
> reload icon in the original theme.
> They have different shapes and different colors and therefore they represent
> distinctfully different actions.
> I am afraid to say it but these changes by far diminished the usability of
> that particular toolbar and so Konqueror.
> Could sombody explain to me why these changes were made?

Although I cannot give you explanation of why they were made I can tell
you that we are working on changing this. The home and
recycle icons are much better in your version becuase they stand out
more. Unfortunately your version wouldn't work when the icons are shown
at the standard size. Everaldos icons were never made for small sizes.

>  I support changes as long as they are true improvements.
> But I fail to see how the current versions are an improvement over the
> original everaldo theme.(http://www.linuxcult.com/forum/crystal.php)
> Therefore I'd rather stay with those until a better solution is found.

Actually I would like to start working on a new theme to replace
crystal. If we reverted to Everaldos old set we would once again be
missing lots of icons, not to mention pretty much all the small ones are
useless.

In the meantime I wonder how many other artists have worked on
"Everaldos" theme.

> Yesterday i saw that new action icons were comitted to the kde cvs.
> They resemble the pre KDE 1.0  icons:)
> Most are B/W some are grey.
> Again the function of color is lost.
> Most users these days have 16bit capable graphic cards.
> We should use them.
>
> With the introduction of the crystal icons KDE got many new users who liked
> the new vivid look.Please dont "grey down" all that work.
> Until 3.1 KDE had already that look and let me tell you people were not
> happy about it.They bitched how much better GNOME looked.
> That doesnt happend thses days for a reason:)

The intention is not to "grey down" any icons, although reducing the
saturation a *little* bit is a definite goal.

We are working on including many of the actions in 2D form but that
does not mean that they have to all be grey. Reducing the complexity of
these icons is not only a visual matter but also one of usability.

Bye,
Ken
--
SUSE LINUX - a Novell business