List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] Recent crystalsvg  and some older changes
From:       "qwertz" <kraftw () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-03-31 1:59:12

When everaldo originally made the crystalsvg icon theme i was very happy.
about.it because it gave KDE new fresh look that matched our new vivid
direction after kde 3.1.Together with keramik the grey, gnome like days were
over.
I am however concerned about some recent(yesterday) and not so recent(kde
3.3/3.4) changes.
Lets talk about the older changes first.
Somewhere around KDE 3.3 some action icons were changed.
If you compare the original ones http://ktown.kde.org/~qwertz/mykde.png with
the present ones http://ktown.kde.org/~qwertz/Image13851.PNG you will notice
the changes.
Let me explain where i have problems with the current direction.
The purpose of an icon is to represent a certain action by using  a distinct
shape, color and visual appearance.
Therefore by using the very same shape (circle) and color (blue) for
different actions this purpose is totally lost
For example: it is much easier to distinguish between the arrows and the
reload icon in the original theme.
They have different shapes and different colors and therefore they represent
distinctfully different actions.
I am afraid to say it but these changes by far diminished the usability of
that particular toolbar and so Konqueror.
Could sombody explain to me why these changes were made?
 I support changes as long as they are true improvements.
But I fail to see how the current versions are an improvement over the
original everaldo theme.(http://www.linuxcult.com/forum/crystal.php)
Therefore I'd rather stay with those until a better solution is found.

Yesterday i saw that new action icons were comitted to the kde cvs.
They resemble the pre KDE 1.0  icons:)
Most are B/W some are grey.
Again the function of color is lost.
Most users these days have 16bit capable graphic cards.
We should use them.

With the introduction of the crystal icons KDE got many new users who liked
the new vivid look.Please dont "grey down" all that work.
Until 3.1 KDE had already that look and let me tell you people were not
happy about it.They bitched how much better GNOME looked.
That doesnt happend thses days for a reason:)

Qwertz