List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Rules for background images
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2005-02-25 17:02:08

basse wrote:

>>I don't know if this is the correct forum, but is there any rules on how
>>background images for KDE should look?
>>

>i think the same rules apply no matter for what desktop you are making the
>backgrounds for. thing is there are very different kind of people out
>there, with very different kind of tastes. where some want clean and
>simple, some want growded and busy.  where some want easy toned, some want
>bright and colorful.
>
>some even design backgrounds so that it's meant to place the icons on them
>in certain way.. while other parts maybe don't work at all for icon
>placings.
>

>>if you place a html file right in between the two gears it is almost
>>impossible to see.
>>

>why you place it there then?
>

>.b

I don't place things there on purpose, but sometimes it is not possible
to control where an icon
ends up. e.g. if you drag a set of icons from some folder to the desktop.

This is why this becomes not only an issue of what is beautiful or not
but also an issue of
usability and I think we have some responsibility to provide KDE users
wiht something that
works in this respect, at least as long as we are talking about the
default background image
that you get when you install KDE.

What people do after that is out of our hands, if they want someting
less usable but more
beautiful that is their choise, and this is the way it should be.  But I
do think we at least have
the responsibility of making all backrounds that is included in the
standard installation beautiful,
stylish,.. add whatever positive remark about art you want, as well as
usable. It doesn't
have to be a contradiction you know.

Regards
Uno Engborg