List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Re: HiColor Icons
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-10-24 20:35:12

* Luciano Montanaro <luciano.montanaro@consulenti.fastweb.it> [Oct 24. 2004 22:22]:
> Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> >
> > If we had the SVG source for these icons we could include the Gnome
> > sizes...perhaps it would time to look for a good replacement for the
> > hicolor icons. THe flat icons with a bit of color added would be nice
> > here, if they were made nice enough....but maybe I am just dreaming, but I
> > think that the hicolor icons should be somehow based on the two color
> > icons, at least for recognition.
> >

> The SVG flat icons work quite well with KDE, and it's actually up to
> Konqueror to choose the size. Currently for icon views, if more than ten (I
> think... I have to check) sizes are offered, Konqueror tries to find icons
> with sizes progressively larger up to 256.
>
> I like the flat icons, although I agree that more color would be welcome.
> The author, Danny Allen, has been contacted to plan collaboration with the
> accessibility project, and he seems quite interested in having the icons
> packaged with KDE. Accessibility people are interested in high contrast
> two-color versions of the icons, but we could have multiple versions
> generated through a script.

My point is that it is better to define a visual metaphor in a simple
two color icon, or whatever, and then to create more complicated, styled
icons our of the same idea. Of course there are cases where this will
not hold true, and we will have to work around these but it is not a bad
idea to start with, I think.

I completely agreet that the flat cions are a great idea, and that we
should work on them to make them even better (read my earlier mail)

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany