List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST: icons themes, hicolor, and accesability
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-10-24 19:40:31

Hi all,

due to the current interest in the icons and artwork in KDE I will try
to briefly explain what I think we need to be doing...

short term:

- to clean out the crystalsvg stuff, moving stuf to hicolor when needed
  and/or retouching certain icons to fit better in a given theme.

- to include a few other nice icon themes but this depends on style,
  completion, and acceptance (kde-look ratings, discussion, etc.)

- to work on the flat theme (greyscale icon theme) with the author
  (forgot his name atm, sorry, but I am on a roll...) to make it 2
  color. better would be to devise a method of reducing the colors in
  the svgs directly per script, transform, css, whatever...

- work on the flat theme to improve some of the icons. Often text is
  included in the icon, this should probably be rendered directly on the
  icon and not included in the graphic. This would need some technical
  work as well...

long term:

- to define a new theme, which would include the same metaphors at
  different sizes, resolutions, and styles. Although freedom to change
  is a good thng, it is too much to assume the the user will understand
  a completely new visual metaphor when first seeing it.

- to conintually work on the hicolor theme to keep it as good as
  possible. It is the fallback for everything and should not be
  forgotten.

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany